Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Lin, the Hero

For those of you not at the reunion, let me share an amazing story. The weekend of the reunion just happened to be Opening Day at Lake Tahoe and some crazy person thought it would be a great idea to shut down the main road for entertainment and redirect traffic one way on a back road. This was the stupidest idea ever and caused huge gridlock and many angry people. We (Matt, Annie, Spencer and Uncle Tom were in one car and Mark, Me, Aurora and Aunt Lin were behind in another car) were stuck in a parking lot trying to get to the main road for about 45 minutes. After about 20 minutes of waiting, Aunt Lin decided to get out to talk to the security guard to see what was going on. The line started to move a little, but after 25 minutes she still hadn't come back. Mark and I thought she was talking to the other car, but when we got to the front of the line, we saw a sight I never imagined.

You can only sort of tell from this picture, but my mom was in the middle of the street directing traffic! You know my mom. and this is something I never dreamed she would do. She nicely asked the cars going straight if they would let just one car through. And it worked! She helped a woman who was late for work and a bride get to her wedding! And we got to the boat dock just in time for me to waddle/run down the pier before taking off. Although if I had known the Westwood/Allens were so close, I would have waddled a little slower. Sorry guys! But hooray Mom! You saved the day!

2 comments:

Kathy T. Fisher said...

Hooray for Lin! Carrie told me that you were directing traffic, but I just thought it was for a few cars in front. It sounds like you were there for a while helping out many!! What were they paying that other guy for?
The moral of the story is: Stick with Aunt Lin and you will go places!

Linda Tippets said...

I've decided that this activity must have been on my subconscious list of "50 things to do before I die". It wasn't really difficult to do, I just appealed to the driver's sense of "Random Acts of Kindness". (Of course, I also kept them occupied chatting while the cars from the parking lot exited).